Another year at Star Trek Las Vegas and another MAJOR announcement.
After more than 20 years away from the franchise Sir Patrick Stewart is set to return to the Star Trek universe, Stewart will reprise his historic role as Jean-Luc Picard, for a CBS All Access series.
“I will always be very proud to have been a part of Star Trek: The Next Generation, but when we wrapped that final movie in the spring of 2002, I truly felt my time with Star Trek had run its natural course,” Stewart said. “It is, therefore, an unexpected but delightful surprise to find myself excited and invigorated to be returning to Jean-Luc Picard and to explore new dimensions within him. Seeking out new life for him, when I thought that life was over.”
Spanning 7 series, and 4 movies, Captain Jean Luc Picard is one of the most well know characters in Star Trek history, although nothing much is known about this new series, there are a few interesting tidbits of information that have come from this shock announcement,
The new series
- Will tell the story of the next chapter of Picard’s life.
- He may not be a Captain anymore, and you may not recognize him.
- 20 years will have passed.
- No scripts yet, just talking storylines.
- It will be very very different from what we know, but it will come with the same love, exactly as we had it before.
- The show will be on CBS All Access – NO AIR DATE SET YET.
- Sir Patrick has been rewatching TNG in the last six months, helped him reconsider his stance on returning to Star Trek and this is helping him prepare.
Star Trek: Discovery showrunner Alex Kurtzman will be an Executive Producer on the new series, as this show will fall under his new “Extended Universe” deal he struck with CBS recently.
“With overwhelming joy, it’s a privilege to welcome Sir Patrick Stewart back to the Star Trek fold.”
“For over 20 years, fans have hoped for the return of Captain Jean-Luc Picard and that day is finally here. We can’t wait to forge new ground, surprise people, honour generations both new and old.”
Currently, CBS is not announcing any further information, such as the series title or synopsis, however, as soon as we hear anything we will update you.