The long-awaited Star Trek: Short Treks are heading to Blu-ray and DVD In June, this is sure to excite international fans that have not been able to see the newest ones released last year, even with this news there is a couple of slight catches, the release date of June 2nd is only for North America and the Short Trek “Children of Mars” is not included.
Even with the date only being set for North America, it stands to reason that both the Blu-ray and DVD will be released internationally at some point, and as of the date of this article, it is not available for preorder yet outside of North America.
As soon as we get an international release date we will of course post an update, however, it is likely the Blu-ray will not be region locked so if fans can order from the link below and should be able to watch it in other territories.
Here is what is included on the Blu-ray and DVDs.
The set will include all the Short Treks from the first season, and all the Discovery-related shorts from the second season, these are: “Runaway,” “Calypso,” “The Brightest Star,” “The Escape Artist,” “Q&A,” “The Trouble With Edward,” “Ask Not,” “Ephraim & Dot,” and “The Girl Who Made the Stars.”
Along with the 9 shorts, both the Blu-ray and DVD is packed with bonus features which includes new audio commentaries on two of the episodes.
- COMING OF AGE – Tied to the “Runaway” short, the ﬁrst installment of the new Short Trek format was written by executive producers Jenny Lumet and Alex Kurtzman about Tilly ﬁnding a stowaway with whom she can relate. In this behind-the-scenes interview, Kurtzman, Director Maja Vrvilo and star Mary Wiseman talk about the use of the short to give the audience further insight into Tilly’s character.
- SHALL WE DANCE – Writer Michael Chabon and Director Olatunde Osunsanmi discuss the challenges of creating a compelling story with only one on-screen character in the familiar setting of the U.S.S Discovery for the “Calypso” short.
- FIRST CONTACT: KAMINAR – A deep dive into “The Brightest Star” short and creating Saru’s backstory with the Star Trek actors and writers.
- COVERED IN MUDD – Tied to “The Escape Artist” short, an interview with star Rainn Wilson about directing the Harry Mudd short and his experience on both sides of the camera.
- ENSIGN SPOCK’S FIRST DAY – Writer Michael Chabon talks about writing for Ensign Spock and ﬁnding hidden talents in relation to the “Q&A” short.
- HERE COMES TRIBBLE – Fans will dive into “The Trouble with Edward” short as prop master Mario Moreira discusses bringing back the beloved Tribble for the shorts.
- SCORE! – A behind-the-curtain discussion with Oscar and Grammy Award-winning composer Michael Giacchino about taking the reins on “Ephraim and Dot,” and directing and composing for Star Trek: Short Treks.
- BEDTIME STORIES – Writer Brandon Schultz, director Olatunde Osunsanmi and actor Kenric Green (“Mike Burnham”) discuss the development of “The Girl Who Made the Stars,” the animated Short Trek about a bedtime story.
- THE MAKING OF SHORT TREKS – An in-depth discussion with executive producer Alex Kurtzman and more about how and why the new concept Short Treks were made.
- TWO AUDIO COMMENTARIES – Featuring Executive Producers Alex Kurtzman, Jenny Lumet providing commentary for the “Runaway” short, and star Anson Mount providing commentary for the “Ask Not” short.
Buy Star Trek: Short Treks NOW