Last night during the Creative Arts Emmy Awards ceremony at the Microsoft Theater in downtown Los Angeles, the makeup team for Star Trek: Discovery won the shows first Emmy for Prosthetic Makeup for a Limited Series, Movie or Special.
In attendance for the team were,
- Glenn Hetrick, Special Makeup Effects Department Head,
- James Mackinnon, Special Makeup Effects Department Head,
- Hugo Villasenor, Special Makeup Effects Artist,
- Rocky Faulkner, Special Makeup Effects Artist,
- Chris Bridges, Special Makeup Effects Artist,
- Nicola Bendrey, Special Makeup Effects Artist,
- Mike O’Brien, Prosthetic Designer,
- Neville Page, Prosthetic Designer,
The episode that earned them the win was “If Memory Serves” which was submitted in the category. This notable episode featured Discovery’s take on the Talosians, the ionic race that first appeared in the Star Trek’s unaired pilot eposde “The Cage” and again went on to be shown in the TOS epiosde “The Menagerie.”
The show was up against some powerful competition for this category which included American Horror Story: Apocalypse, Chernobyl, Game of Thrones, and Fosse/Verdon.
Discovery was also nominated in several other categories this year, they were:
- Outstanding Main Title Design,
- Outstanding Sound Editing for a Comedy or Drama Series (One-Hour),
- Outstanding Special Visual Effects for seasons finale “Such Sweet Sorrow, Part 2.”
Unfortunately, in these three categories, they were beat out by the powerhouse “Game of Thrones” who walked away this weekend with a total of 10 Emmys.
This weekend really has been one of great success for the show with its three Saturn wins for Best Streaming Science Fiction Show, Best Actress in a Streaming Presentation, and Best Supporting Actor on Friday and now its first Emmy, Discovery keeps showing how it is a great success both on and off-screen.
The new season of Star Trek: Discovery is now filming in Toronto, and is set to return next year. The show will also have a major presence at this year’s New York Comic-Con on October where we are sure to find out more about the shows upcoming third season.